Tuesday, June 15, 2010

On Eagles' Wings

One of the things that I love the most about my daily commute is getting to see really cool, unexpected things: a coyote running along the ditch, a herd of deer off grazing in a field, a blue heron standing in a slough (I saw this just last week), a moose munching on leaves beside the highway, beautiful sunrises and sunsets.  And every once in a while, I see a bald eagle.  I was lucky enough to see one yesterday.  He was soaring along on the wind, but then he must have spotted breakfast in the field below, because he suddenly dove to the  ground.  I only got a quick look at him, but that white head and brown body are pretty unmistakable.

Watching him soar reminded me of part of my favourite verse from Isaiah: "But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.  They will soar on wings like eagles..." (Isaiah 40:31a).  When I was sick before my transplant, I had this verse framed with a picture of an eagle in flight and hanging on my wall.  Whenever I was down, or I was having a bad day energy-wise, I would read those words and remind myself that the Lord was with me, and if I trusted in Him He would give me the strength to carry on.  To quote a song, He would be "the wind beneath my wings".  Never did I need that promise more than I did when I was going through all that.

Now I see this verse in a slightly different way.  I know that if I trust in God, he will give me the strength to soar, no matter what.  I saw a great placque once at Blessings that said something to the effect of "Live life with roots of faith and wings of hope".  It immediately reminded me of another verse: "So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him, rooted and built up in Him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness". (Colossians 2:6-7).  This verse makes me think of a tree.  "Rooted and built up in Him" illustrates the tree's roots which provide its foundation, the same way that our faith provides our foundation; "strengthened in the faith" illustrates the trunk which is always growing and getting stronger just as our faith does, and "overflowing with thankfulness" illustrates the green leafy branches at the top of the tree.  If we have good, strong "roots of faith" then we are able to weather whatever storms life sends our way.  The "wings of hope" part of the quote brings me back to the eagle.  When I think of the whole quote I see a beautiful, big tree with good, strong roots going down into the soil.  It's growing in a field and reaching high to God.  In the clear, blue sky above the tree and eagle is soaring, his wings outstretched to catch the wind currents.  Roots of faith, wings of hope.  What an image!

Until next time,
J.

No comments:

Post a Comment